So lately I’ve been really into holistic health. I’ve heard a lot about how our bodies are perfectly running machines when they have taken care of. Recently, as I researched, I found that there are home remedies for just about everything. So I thought, what better to compile than a list of home remedies for women that every lady ought to know.
Bladder Infection Home Remedies
Bladder infections are something I tend to get a lot. Most women have them several times throughout their lives. Women with PCOS, like myself, tend to get far more bladder infections and UTI’s than others. Most physicians speculate that this is because of the amount of sugar in our urine, and our decreased immune system. So, what can you do?
- ORGANIC Cranberry juice: NOT Cranberry Cocktail– A lot of people think this is a wives tale, but studies show that this DOES work to improve a bladder infection! Please note, cranberry juice cocktail does not work, unfortunately. More importantly, it helps to PREVENT a UTI. Personally, I tend to get UTI’s under very specific circumstances. Like after being sexually active, or when I’m working out a lot. Drinking a shot of ORGANIC Cranberry Juice every morning has taken me from 4-6 UTI’s a year, all the way down to 1-2 tops.
- Water Flush – The more water you flush through your system, the faster it can clean out the infection! Drink up, and DON’T hold your pee! Even though it hurts, making sure you get to the bathroom ASAP when you have a UTI is one of the BEST ways to flush it out. SO DRINK UP.
- Herbal Remedies – Some resources point out that herbal remedies are a great way to help improve your UTI. Personally, I’ve never tried them! That said, Goldenseal and Bearberry Leaf are the recommended herbal remedies for bladder infections. However, it IS warned not to use these more than a few days at a time. OH! And STOCK UP on Emergen-C and Vitamin C supplements -they REALLY help!
- Long Term Recurring Bladder Infection Remedies– If you’ve got the problem of recurring bladder infections, daily shots of organic cranberry juice will help, but you also need to consider some other changes too. Simple things like switching to cotton-only underwear, shower immediately after sex, and choosing the shower over the bath can help improve TONS.
Home Remedies for PMS
There’s almost nothing worse than the bloating, cramping, and just general “yuck” that us girls go through during and before our period. Everything from acne to backaches. So, what can you do?
- Morning Meditation – Morning meditating will get you through the mood swings that come with PMS. Spend 10 minutes relaxing comfortably in your “safe zone” and hold tight.
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal for breakfast is a perfect solution for the carb and sugar cravings of PMS. It breaks down slowly in the bloodstream and leaves you full for a long time. Go oats! Want some extra bennies? Add blueberries and cinnamon.
- Warm Compress – This is one of the best ways to relieve muscle soreness that there is. Use a heating pad or warm washcloth (maybe even bottle filled with warm water) for some relief.
- Watermelon Juice – I know this seems crazy, but studies show that watermelon juice (or raw watermelon) is extremely effective at fighting muscle soreness, and it helps that it’s totally tasty! Get a recipe here.
Headache Home Remedies
Headache remedies are all about the type of headache you have. There are two major types of headaches; Tension headaches and Cluster headaches.
- Peppermint oil. Peppermint will cool the head and relax your muscles.
- Ginger Tea – This heart-healthy tea has great effects on your overall health, but more importantly – the anti-inflammatory agents of Ginger tea have the same effect as aspirin in the same amount of time, without the extra junk.
- Feverfew – Feverfew is a herb that can come in the form of supplement or be made into a tea. Studies show that it’s anti-inflammatory benefits are great for headaches and other aches and pains.
- Pumpkin Seeds – Full of magnesium, these seeds are awesome for helping people who have frequent migraines in particular.
Yeast Infection Home Remedies
So, yeast infections tend to be one of the “dirty little secrets” that women don’t like to acknowledge or talk to. They are painful, uncomfortable, embarrassing, and a plethora of other adjectives I’m sure you’d prefer I didn’t get into. That said, there are some (seemingly odd) really effective home remedies for getting rid of them.
- Cranberry Juice – Not Cranberry juice cocktail. This little miracle drink strikes again!
- Plain Yogurt – Ok guys, this is going to get a little weird. but, it is to put plain yoghurt into your vagina. I know, sounds gross, and messy; but yoghurt helps good bacteria re-emerge and helps get rid of the bad bacteria restoring a balance. For best results, you can mix several of these ingredients into a douche. Do NOT use sugar-filled artificial yoghurt. Go with plain, organic stuff.
- Garlic – This power food is an excellent anti-fungal. You can insert half a clove into the vagina, but it may cause burning. Alternatively, you can add it generously to your food!
Sore Throat Home Remedies
As discussed in my article here, there are several remedies to choose from to soothe a sore throat. Whether you’re sick, had a great concert, or maybe drank a little too much – these options are great remedies.
- Echinacea – This comes in tea and supplement form and has been proven to work with the same efficiency and, quickness as the over the counter alternatives.
- Turmeric Tea – Turmeric is a natural healer for a lot of ailments, but one thing it does well is cured a sore throat.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – If you add this to tea with a little honey, you get a comfortable hot drink that will soothe your sore throat.
Muscle Soreness Remedies or Muscle Fatigue Remedies
Sore muscles suck. Whether they’re from the flu, working out, a rough night with the hubby, or whatever may cause them for you – they just suck. We’ve devised some all-natural remedies that are perfect for fighting off muscle soreness.
- Ginger Tea – I don’t know about you, but I’m sensing a pattern. Ginger is an awesome anti-inflammatory and is sure to help with muscle fatigue.
- Watermelon Juice – Studies show that this powerful and tasty juice is really effective at soothing sore muscles, and it’s oh so yummy.
- Water – Staying hydrated is very important to reduce and repel muscle soreness; keeping your muscles hydrated makes them more flexible and less tense.
- Rosemary – Rosemary is another awesome anti-inflammatory, and you can use it in either a wash or consume it for the fabulous benefits.