Does your hair fall out a lot? Is it damaged, weak, or are you terrified of dandruff? You should know that castor oil could be the solution to all these problems.
Used as an ancient technique, this natural product has essential oils-such as omega 9 fatty acid-that promote hair growth and repair, as well as nails and skin. In addition, its high content of ricinoleic acid acts as a very effective natural antifungal and antibacterial that eliminates any fungi and bacteria that inhibit proper hair growth.
Castor oil moisturizes, restores and stimulates the circulation of the hair follicles to give your hair excellent nourishment and softness. If you want to discover how to use castor oil for hair, be sure to read this article from wellbeingstyle. Take note!
Benefits and properties of castor oil for hair
Apart from knowing how to use it, it is important to know what castor oil is good for your hair, as you will learn how it can benefit you.
Properties of castor oil for hair
These are the properties of this fabulous ingredient for hair:
- Moisturizing properties
- Stimulating properties
- Regenerating properties
- Anti-fungal properties
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Antibacterial properties
Is castor oil good for your hair?
Now that you know the properties of castor oil, let us explain how you can benefit from each of them:
- Castor oil for dry hair: this ingredient nourishes the hair, restores and hydrates it effectively, thus improving its appearance.
- Castor oil for curly hair: curly hair is usually drier than any other hair, as it breaks more easily and has trouble keeping its shape. However, castor oil is perfect for nourishing this type of hair and making the curls more defined and silky.
- Castor oil for hair growth: thanks to its stimulating and fortifying properties, castor oil promotes hair growth and prevents hair loss. In addition, castor oil gives hair volume, making weak hair look more attractive. For more information on how to grow hair with castor oil, be sure to visit this other wellbeing article.
- Castor oil for damaged hair: If you have split ends or suffer from tangles often, castor oil can become your best ally. This is because its repairing, moisturizing, and antibacterial action makes it an ideal product to bring softness and shine to your hair.
- Castor oil for dandruff: the antibacterial properties of castor oil are very useful for fighting dandruff, as well as other scalp infections.
In the article What are the cosmetic benefits of castor oil, you can also see its wonderful properties for skin care.
How to use and apply castor oil for hair
If you are wondering how to use castor oil for hair, you should know that it is a very simple process. We show you step by step:
- It is advisable to prepare your scalp for the treatment, so first of all, wash your hair with your usual shampoo and then towel dry it. Leave your hair in the open air for about 10 minutes.
- Then, with damp hair, apply a little castor oil to your hands.
- Massage your hair from the roots to the ends, trying not to use too much so you don’t have problems removing it.
- It is important to use only your fingertips, as your fingernails could damage your hair.
- Wrap your hair in a towel (making a turban is a good idea, as well as comfortable) and let the oil act for 20 minutes.
- After this time, rinse your hair with warm water and soap. As mentioned before, due to the density of this oil, you may need to shampoo a couple of times.
- Repeat the process 1-2 times a week for 6-8 weeks to see better results in less time.
Another very effective option that will answer your question about how to apply castor oil to your hair is to do it before going to bed and leave it on your hair overnight. If you resort to this second option, don’t forget to place a towel on your pillow to prevent the oil from staining your bed.
If you really want to stimulate the growth of your hair, use raw, unprocessed castor oil, as it has a higher nutrient content and is more effective.
Also, if the density of the oil makes it difficult to use, you can dilute it with some other lighter oil. Coconut oil, apricot or almond oil can facilitate its use. In addition, from wellbeingstyle, we advise you to take advantage of the particular qualities of each of these oils to choose the one that best suits your personal case. To find out, visit this article on the best oils for hair.
Castor Oil Hair Mask
Here’s how to prepare and apply three types of castor oil hair masks that will help you achieve a healthier, longer, and stronger mane.
Castor oil mask for hair growth
To grow hair, mixing castor oil and coconut oil is your best option. This is because both oils have very powerful antibacterial properties that heal the damaged scalp, nourish the skin and thus promote hair growth in less time.
Coconut oil will protect your hair more superficially and castor oil will penetrate inside the follicles to promote increased blood circulation in the area.
- Mix 6 tablespoons of castor oil with 4 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- When both ingredients are well mixed, dip your hands in the solution and rub them together to activate the heat of the oils.
- Massage your scalp for 10 minutes using circular motions, then guide the entire mixture from roots to ends.
- Wrap your hair with a towel or cap and let the mixture work for at least three hours.
You can repeat this treatment twice a week.
Castor oil mask for dry hair
If your hair is damaged and you want to nourish and moisturize it to make it look soft and shiny again, the best thing to do is to apply a mask based on castor oil and almond oil.
We already know the benefits of castor oil for damaged hair, but why is almond oil so beneficial? Thanks to its high content of vitamins A, B, and E and different essential fatty acids, almond oil will combat your hair’s dryness and repair its keratin. Follow these steps:
- Mix 6 tablespoons of castor oil with 5 tablespoons of almond oil.
- Once both products are well combined, spread them through your dry hair.
- Make sure to thoroughly coat each strand with the solution, then wrap a towel around your hair.
- After two hours, you can wash your hair with your usual shampoo.
If you want to notice improvements in less time, you can also leave this mixture on your hair overnight.
Castor oil mask for curly hair
Castor oil is a perfect ally for curly hair, as it not only gives your hair more volume and shine, but also prevents it from breaking and drying out. Here’s how to apply castor oil to curly hair:
- Wash your hair as you usually do and do not dry it.
- Apply a few drops of castor oil to your hands and then spread the ingredient all over your hair, from the roots to the ends.
- It is important not to overuse the product, otherwise your hair could become oily.
- If you can air dry your hair, go for that option. If you prefer to blow-dry, use a diffuser to finish defining your curls.
In this other wellbeingstyle article, we offer you more natural oils for curly hair that will significantly improve the appearance of your mane.