Vitiligo treatment: The diagnosis of vitiligo is based on a physical examination, medical history, and laboratory tests but most people can identify it, just in a glance; due to the presentation of white patches by the skin in its surface. These white patches are very obvious among the clear symptoms of vitiligo.
Following are some common symptoms of this disease.
- The primary symptoms of vitiligo are the loss of skin pigment, which result in the formation of milky-white sports (depigmentation) in the skin.
- These patches are commonly found in the body area exposed to the sunlight, such as the hands, feet, arms, face, and lips.
- The other common skin areas, which can suffer from vitiligo, are the armpits, inner lining of mouth, eyes, nostrils, genitals, navel and rectal areas.
- Hair growing from the affected skin surface also loss their natural colour and turn in to grey or white. Such pigment abnormalities are also observed in the retina or iris of the eyes.
- This skin disorder is usually progressive. The shape and position of the affected skin area do not always remain confined. In some cases, these patches develop at the fixed area of skin, while in other these sports may distribute at different places in different shape and size with the passage of time.
- In some people, vitiligo spreads slowly over many years. For other people, spreading occurs rapidly.
- The natural course of vitiligo is hard to predict. Sometimes these patches disappear quickly without any treatment.
- Vitiligo does not cause any physical discomfort to the affected skin, rash or loosen etc.. Still, most people with vitiligo may feel very distressed and unhappy due to the change appearance of their skin.
How can people live with vitiligo?
Regardless of a person’s race, gender, and culture, vitiligo effects on the emotions and psyche of all. Normally, people living with vitiligo loss their self-confidence and change their lifestyle. They become inactive in their social activities.
But fortunately, there are several medical & alternative treatments for vitiligo that can not only minimize the white patches but also eliminate them. The following are some other measure that can help vitiligo people in coping with this disease.
Vitiligo people should talk with other people who have vitiligo because it may help them to learn more about it.
The National Vitiligo Foundation provides a lot of information about vitiligo and refers the local guide for the vitiligo patients, for their families, friends and physicians; vitiligo people should also concern with it.
Normally, People getting Vitiligo to remain ignorant and do not take the common signs of vitiligo like; premature whitening or greying of the hair on your scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows or beard, seriously. So it’s highly recommended that they should pay attention to themselves and go to dermatologist in order to treat it.
what is vitiligo treatment
Vitiligo can not be cured completely, but many different treatments can be helpful to decrease the progression of Vitiligo.
You can choose not to treat vitiligo if the white patch is on a covered area of the body; people are not much concerned because these are not noticed by other people. In the same way, white patches are not a big problem for fair-skinned people. They avoid tanning of the skin, so that white patches are not clearly different each.
Vitiligo treatment options are:
- Skin camouflage.
- It is to cover the affected skin area.
- Treatment that reserve changes in the skin.
- Treatment to de-pigment the skin completely.
- Protection of lot skin by use of sun blocker.
- Skin Camouflage
Coloured cover creams are used on which skin patches of Vitiligo. These creams does not change the real colour of skin but improve skin appearance. Suppose we chose this option first goal to choose the colour cream, which should match the skin colour of the patient. The creams can cover white patched, which greatly increase self-confidence. There are organizations like British Red Cross that provide free skin Camouflage service.
These are self-tanning lotion available, which can hide Vitiligo. The disadvantage is that; the lotions are needed to be applied frequently, and also exact skin colour matches are not available.
1: Treatment that reverses changes in the skin.
No single treatment available works well for Vitiligo. Some drugs slow down the progression of Vitiligo, while others help to regain pigment and colour the same extent. Treatment is different on types of Vitiligo. There are a few treatment resold.
2: Steroid Creams
These creams are used, when a small patch of Vitiligo develops. These are used for a short period ( 2-6 month). It can help to slow or stop the progression of disease skin colour may return over the treated area. Long term use of steroid is harmful because steroid side effects can occur, like thinning of skin and stretch marks. Steroids work by suppressing the immune system.
3: Tacrolirium Cream
This is not the first choice. This can be an alternative to steroids. Its efficiency is limited. It can help to regain skin colour in a few patients, especially on the face. It also acts by suppression of the immune system.
4: PUVA Treatment
PUVA is psoralen and ultraviolet A. in this therapy, and a special medicine psoralen is taken, so the patient’s skin becomes sensitive, to light. The skin is then treated ultraviolet A, from a special machine. This treatment is time-consuming, it is needed twice a week for 6-12 months. PUVA can cause sunburn type reactions or skin Freckling. There are chances of re-occurrence of white patches after PUVA treatment.