Water with lemon is an excellent tool to help you lose weight, as it contains few calories and is a source of fiber, contributing to hunger control. In addition, it is also a diuretic drink, which causes the body to eliminate the accumulation of liquids, thus helping to deflate.
Although lemon water does not increase the burning of body fat, it is a drink rich in antioxidant nutrients that help the body eliminate toxins, facilitating the weight loss process. This drink also helps to cleanse the palate, as it reduces the desire to eat sweet foods, which favor weight gain and harm the diet.
Although lemon water is an excellent supplement to aid weight loss, it does not replace the need for a low-calorie diet and regular physical activity. Use our calculator to find out how much weight you need to lose:
How to use lemon water to lose weight
One of the ways to use lemon water to help you lose weight is to squeeze 10 drops of lemon in a glass of warm water and then drink it, without adding sugar. This should be done on an empty stomach, about 30 minutes before breakfast.
Lemon water can also be drunk before main meals, but with cold water, as this will make the body require more energy to heat the water, thus contributing to weight loss.
To obtain the benefits of this drink, just choose one of the following suggestions:
- Squeeze 10 drops of lemon in a glass of water and drink half an hour before breakfast, before lunch or dinner;
- Add the juice of 140 g of lemon pulp in 2 liters of water and drink throughout the day;
- Place 1 sliced lemon in a bottle of water and drink throughout the day;
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a fruit salad, to eat as a dessert at lunch or dinner;
Add grated zest of 1 lemon in 1 cup of hot water or in your favorite tea.
Another option to consume this drink is to add grated ginger to water with lemon, because this root also has properties that increase the burning of body fat, favoring weight loss. Learn about other fruits that can be used to lose weight.
Likewise, substituting other types of more caloric or sugary drinks with lemon water also contributes to the reduction of calories in the diet, helping to lose weight.
Benefits of lemon water
Besides helping to lose weight, other possible health benefits of drinking lemon water are:
- Strengthen the immune system and protect the body against colds and flus, or any respiratory illness in general;
- Helping the body absorb the iron present in vegetables, such as spinach, and legumes, such as beans;
- Help eliminate toxins from the body and reduce fluid retention, due to its diuretic effect;
- Avoid diseases such as cancer and premature aging, because it is rich in antioxidants;
- Decrease fatigue, increasing energy and concentration;
- Reduce high blood pressure;
- Balance blood glucose levels, avoiding diabetes.
- Decrease acidity and improve metabolism, since it has an alkalizing effect;
- To favor the healing processes, because it is rich in vitamin C;
- Stomach stimulant, excellent for treating digestive problems such as nausea, vomiting and inflammation of the gastrointestinal mucosa.
In addition to this, it promotes skin health, keeping it hydrated and beautiful, preventing the formation of acne.
Apart from the benefits of lemon water, adding lemon peel in the drink also helps to balance anxiety and stress, as the peel contains essential oils with calming effects, helping to control the compulsion and desire to eat caloric foods that can promote weight gain.