Talking about wasting time can have different meanings and there are many ways to do it, this depends on the perspective of each person. For some, wasting time is gaining life, while for others it is losing life due to lack of productivity, but it is not just about losing it, you should also take advantage of it.
I believe that both points of view are very valid, as long as a fair balance is sought. Being productive on a day-to-day basis is important, but so is resting and having that leisure time that we need as humans.
Wasting time is as important as taking advantage of it
At present, a culture has been consolidating where we must all be very productive, where there is no room for almost anyone or almost nothing. But culturally it is something that has become so anchored in society that even when we do nothing we feel guilty for the mere fact of wanting to give ourselves time, to simply do nothing.
When people allow ourselves moments to do nothing, where we simply relax, enjoy and enjoy that lazy day; the body also appreciates it, loading your mind and your body with thousands of tasks can have great consequences on your mental and physical health.
Therefore, it is important that you allow yourself to experience days when “waste your time”. Free yourself from stress, unload your work suitcase and forget about your pending tasks for at least a moment.
However, it is important to bear in mind that although our body needs times of healthy relaxation and leisure, it does not mean that you are going to do it every day, or every other day, or almost always.
As I mentioned at the beginning of the article, it is to find a healthy balance, between productivity and taking advantage of wasting time; as a relaxation strategy, for the body and mind.
7 ways to make the most of your time
“I have no time or wasting time”
Managing your time in a proper way will allow you to achieve your goals in a simpler way. When we learn to manage our time, we manage to manage and use it more efficiently.
Keep in mind that in order to have a balance with time management, the first thing is to know how to take advantage of it. For this, below we are going to leave you some tips on how to make your time last; so that you are very productive and at the same time you can also give yourself that luxury of days of doing nothing and you can free yourself of all your tensions.
- Plan your day: take a few minutes to plan your routine for the day; In this way you will achieve a clear order in the tasks that you will have to carry out on a day-to-day basis and in this way your day will be much more productive.
- Prioritize your tasks: Rate the urgency of each task; From here, write them in order of importance and try to do them on the dates you set for yourself. Procrastination is also one of the ways to waste time in a bad way; Besides, the only thing that you will achieve with this practice is that your tasks accumulate, which will generate greater stress.
- Sleep between 7 and 8 hours: the quality of sleep will influence the energy of your body to carry out the activities of the next day; For this reason, try to set schedules both to fall asleep and to get up. Resting allows us to be more creative and think much better.
- Early morning: when you get up early you have the feeling that the day is much more productive, so it will be more productive; you will be able to organize yourself better and as a reward you will surely have more free time.
- Sports practice: sport gives us energy and contributes to brain activation; practicing half an hour or 40 minutes of exercise 3 or 4 times a week will help you stay more active and in higher spirits.
- Organize your spaces: Order is another great ally of time; If you organize your spaces every day, you will not accumulate disorder, in this way you will not have to waste whole days organizing your accumulated disorder of several days.
- Take some time to stop: Stressing makes us anxious; so rather follow the advice that we mentioned above and you will see how you can have rest days without worries or stress.
4 ways to waste time to relax
Socially we have been taught that wasting time and not being productive “is bad”; This specifically relates to not being working, studying, or doing any other activity that is considered culturally productive.
As we already mentioned, being productive is important, but in the same way “wasting time”It is also and should be taken advantage of. Yes, work and study are essential, free time is also essential; as it contributes to improving physical and mental well-being, helps to release stress and prevents health risks.
Below we will share different ideas to do in your free time.
- Outdoor activities: Without a doubt, being in contact with nature is one of the activities that most helps to disconnect in a healthy way from the stress of everyday life. So prepare with your partner, family, friends or just yourself, a day in nature; You can prepare a kind of picnic or just go for a walk, the important thing is that you enjoy it and you can relax.
- Cook a new recipe: If you are one of those people who are interested in cooking, but never do it due to lack of time; Well, this is the time for you to take your day off and dedicate it to cooking that recipe that you want to prepare for a long time; Invite those special people for you and they will surely have a great day.
- Treat yourself to a day of many pampering: Make an appointment at the hairdresser, renew your image, get a relaxing massage, have a glass of wine and eat something delicious; your body and your mind will thank you. There is nothing better in the world than feeling cared for and pampered and what better than ourselves to prepare a great day of many pampering.
- Forget about guilt: Many of us feel guilty when we are not doing anything “productive”; like working, studying, cleaning the house, paying a bill, sending an email, reading a book, marketing….
Culturally it is what they have taught us, that is why we feel bad and feel guilty, but free yourself from that feeling and understand that wasting time is as important as taking advantage of a good rest.
From Hakuna Matata – Psychologists Medellín we invite you to look for that balance where you are very productive; but where in turn you have time to rest and enjoy leisure activities.
These were just a few ways to waste time to relax; But there are many more activities that you can do, that will depend on your tastes, so go ahead and give yourself that day of great rest.