What is the astringent diet and what are its benefits? What foods are not recommended when suffering from stomach diseases? This article is about all of this.
After going through illnesses such as gastroenteritis or diarrhea, the body is faced with a great loss of nutrients. This is due to the change in the state of the stool, which may become softer or liquid in the worst case, causing discomfort and pain in the stomach.
In view of this situation, the body should be helped by eating soft foods that do not do much work for the digestive system. Through them, it will be possible to replenish the liquids lost by the body.
What is the astringent diet?
It is the diet recommended when suffering from stomach diseases such as diarrhea. Through it, it is possible to recover the vitamins and minerals that were previously lost.
It consists of the ingestion of easily digestible foods, in addition to a high amount of liquids. That is to say, it is not necessary to go to a specialist to recommend a specific menu.
What is the astringent diet for?
By means of this, also known as a soft diet, it is possible to favor acute or chronic diarrhea, gastroenteritis or any other ailment that can damage digestive activity.
This is the closest alternative that can be done to improve these diseases. However, if after three days of astringent diet, symptoms are not relieved, it would be advisable to visit a medical specialist, who can provide some type of drug treatment according to the severity of the condition.
Benefits of an astringent diet
The astringent diet has two important benefits.
It helps to keep the body hydrated.
The recurrent intake of liquids will prevent dehydration.
It improves the health of the body.
This bland diet also improves diarrhea and other stomach disorders. You will notice that, after a short time, you will begin to notice the results. Through it, it is possible to increase intestinal work, helping to reduce the development of the disease.
What foods are not recommended when suffering from stomach diseases?
In the presence of stomach diseases, the consumption of certain foods should be suspended, because they will be difficult for the intestines to assimilate. Some of them are the following:
- Dairy products such as cheese or milk.
- Dried fruits.
- Raw vegetables, such as cauliflower or cabbage, tend to cause flatulence.
- Mayonnaise or any kind of sauce due to their high content of unhealthy fats.
- alcoholic beverages and even large quantities of soft drinks.
- Whole grains, as a consequence of their laxative effect.
- Chocolate or any type of candy.
- Orange juice.
- Fried foods and foods with high salt content.
Once the condition is alleviated, you can gradually reintroduce them to your diet.
A list of recommended astringent foods
This list of astringent foods will help you recover in a few days. Each one of them is recommended after having suffered some kind of stomach upset.
- Meat: white meats and fish will help you recover the lost proteins. In this sense, it is important to prepare these types of dishes grilled or steamed.
- Eggs: eggs are also a high source of protein. You can eat them cooked or in omelet form. Nutrition experts recommend eating two eggs a week in a natural way.
- Vegetables: carrots and potatoes will be of great help to cleanse the body. These can be eaten in mashed form to make them easier to digest.
- Fruits: When you feel a stomach ache, you can eat fruits such as ripe bananas, baked apples, lemons, or quince.
- Liquids: fluid intake is an important part of the astringent diet, so it is important to drink plenty of water, chamomile tea, or other types of infusions. In this sense, it would also be favorable to drink carrot or rice water, as well as broths that are not high in fat, and the intake of oral serum is also recommended.
- Natural yogurt: natural yogurt is a great medicine for the stomach. It should not contain lactose or be fruit-based. By ingesting it, the intestinal flora can be restored. This is the most nutritious dairy product in this type of situation.
- Carbohydrates: when you feel sick in your stomach, it is possible to consume small amounts of toasted white bread, pasta, and rice, among others.
In addition, in this type of diet, it is advisable to take low amounts of oil.
The different phases of an astringent diet
- In the first phase, there will be greater discomfort due to the onset of the disease. During this period, it will be important to drink fluids to avoid dehydration.
- In the second phase, try to gradually incorporate soft foods such as mashed potatoes, baked apples, and ripe bananas, among others.
- For the third phase: if recovery continues to be satisfactory, continue incorporating proteins gradually. Remember that these should be cooked on the grill or steamed with the minimum amount of fat.
- In the fourth sentence, the different foods that you usually eat should be added as you feel better.
Finally, it is important to mention that this diet should only be done when you have stomach problems, otherwise it will not be useful. This diet is not suitable for those who suffer from constipation, since it contributes to aggravating the condition.